IT Cambridge Technical Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma

Level 1 Diploma
Course Location


Cheadle College



Further Details


College 16-18

Course Start Date


Course Duration

Full-Time - 2 Years



Course Overview

This course is designed for anyone with an interest in a career in a varied and fast changing industry. No previous qualifications are necessary just an interest and a desire to succeed. Careers in the digital sector are expanding massively in our area and this course will equip students with the skills and experiences to take full advantage of the opportunities available.

The qualification allows you to study IT in a context that enables you to learn and be assessed in ways that are practical and relevant to the IT sector. Employers have told us that they need people who are able to help them develop their systems or the systems for their customers, to use IT to strategically view the IT landscape and to exploit new technologies to gain business advantage. They have identified that future skills gaps need to be filled for new and emerging technologies.

General entry requirements for our Level 3 Advanced Vocational Qualifications include 4 GCSEs grade 4 or above, including English and/or Maths. For our IT Extended Diploma we are looking for applicants with a keen interest in Technology.

We are an inclusive college and will consider all applications at interview.

Good IT skills at Level 3 will give a student a wide range of interesting and high earning career options. Further study at University or on Degree apprenticeships is possible, or good careers in Manchester’s thriving digital sector.

This qualification is specifically designed to give you a comprehensive knowledge, not available in the smaller qualification sizes, which will allow you to specialise with breadth and depth into more specialist and cutting edge job roles across the sectors.

With issues like cyber security providing new challenges and the opportunities that high technology engineering projects like HS2 will bring, now is an excellent time to be studying this course. You will also develop important transferable skills such as problem solving, independent research and working in a team.

Mandatory Units include: Fundamentals of IT, Global Information, Application Design, Web Design and Prototyping, Games Design and Prototyping, Cyber Security, Cloud Technology
Optional Units include: Project Management, Product Development, Business Computing, Systems Analysis and DesignMobile Technology, Social Media and Digital Marketing, Software Engineering for Business

This course carries UCAS tariff points equal in size to 3 A levels. It fully meets entry requirements for progression onto a degree course.

IT Support Technician, Network Technician, Systems Analyst, Programmer, UX Designer, Social Media Marketing

35% of the course is assessed with end of unit exams and the other 65% is assessed through project work that students complete independently.

READY TO begin your journey?

Apply Now

Cheadle College at a glance
Our Open Day is your chance to explore the College and find out the range of opportunities on offer, from A Levels to vocational and professional courses.

Next Event
Thursday 28th September 2023


Course not quite right for you?

try these similar courses